Saturday, April 21, 2012

Super 8 (2011)



~~~~
Rating: 3!
~~~~

To start this back up is the movie Super 8. It stars Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning, and Kyle Chandler.

As usual with a J.J. Abrams movie, I had no idea what this was going to be about. He loves to give you a trailer that tell you so much without revealing anything at all. So I won't ruin it either.

Basically, Super 8 is about a group of kids that are filming a super 8 movie in 1979. A train derails and something comes out of it. There. That's all I'll tell ya.

What I will say is that Disney kid actors have nothing on these guys. Elle Fanning does a great job and has in other films, but Joel Courtney was amazing. And to add to that, Super 8 is his first movie! I couldn't believe it when I looked it up. The thought never occurred to me while watching the movie that he was an actor. He has been in a couple of other movies since but I haven't seen them so I've never seen him act. I haven't seen him do another role to compare or recognize that he was an actor. You really can't tell with how good this kid is. The friends in the movie are just as good, a couple of them have done movies before but never a main part. Courtney's on-screen friend, played by Riley Griffiths, also makes his first film role and does a fantastic job.

The plot is really good along with the graphics. This one is definitely a homage to super 8 films and although I didn't get it, I've heard that it gets a little nostalgic with trying to make movies.

If you liked Abrams other works (Cloverfield and Star Trek specifically) I'd definitely check this one out. It's a pretty fun movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment