Wednesday, April 25, 2012

No Strings Attached (2011)

the characters, getting dressed in a bedroom and smiling at each other.

~~~~
Rating: 1!
~~~~

No Strings Attached is next for April. This one stars Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman.

This is one of those movies that I have trouble rating. I'll start off by saying that I enjoyed the movie. I got a kick out of it. It was a little different and I laughed at a bunch of stuff. So even though it has one of the lowest rating that I've given, I still recommend that you watch it.

The problem with this kind of movie is that they aren't very memorable. They are pretty much good for a one time use. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you see it in movies. This one would be a hit or miss at the theaters since I don't know the personalities of those reading this but I would have enjoyed it. The problem with seeing this one at home is that I got distracted. The plot is slow. Good writing, but set at a very slow pace. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes I got really into my Words with Friends game on facebook. It's kinda like Scrabble...it's a fun game.

Kutcher was pretty good in this one. His character, Adam, is a non-overbearing romantic who repeatedly meets Emma (Portman) in his life starting with being teenagers at a summer camp and culminating in the present when they decide to start having casual sex. The agreement is mostly on Emma's side but it's obvious that he doesn't want to let her go. Especially when her co-worker (she's a doctor) wants her for himself. The rival plot is never really developed which I did like. It kept the conflict within the two main characters and didn't extend it to an ultra-drama with him fighting against someone for her affection. It was mostly Emma's avoidance of relationships that he had to contend with.

I was okay with Portman in this one. That's about it. She was pretty okay but I do think that she was the best for the role. Adam and Emma's friends helped make the movie pretty funny, most notably Eli (played by Jake Johnson) and Wallace (a very randomly included Ludacris).

Overall, the plot was pretty good and the characters were enjoyable to an extent. I do like the role Kutcher plays in this movie. Adam is one of his more recent string of actual guy characters. He a romantic that knows how to talk to women, is relatively funny, punches a wall when he gets angry and then proceeds to get stuck in the wall, and has an awkward relationship with his father that results in him banging his head on the table. I do commend the writers on the character of Adam.

Watch it or don't. I really couldn't tell you either way so I'll leave it up to you. I'm looking forward to actually seeing Office Space for the first time. I know. It's sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment